https://kiltedowl.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Shepherd's Pie Review: American Star Diner

 

On July 30, 2026, American Star Diner in North Wales, Pennsylvania, had shepherd’s pie on their specials menu for lunch and dinner. This dish is typically served in Irish pubs, but I have seen it in a variety of diners as well.

Their recipe included the typical beef, vegetables, and mashed potatoes. What set this version apart was the fact that they put gravy on top of the mashed potatoes. This added extra moisture to the potatoes, beef, and vegetables.

Another unique aspect of this version was the dish it was served in. Typically, shepherd’s pie is served in an oval-shaped dish. I have seen very few instances where it is a circular dish, and the American Star Diner is one of these instances. The dish was deep, allowing for more of the shepherd’s pie to be served.

The value of the dish was excellent. The shepherd’s pie cost $16.99 for the lunch portion and it included a cup of soup (I chose cream of potato, and it was delicious). For the amount of shepherd’s pie that was served, it was an excellent value, especially in relation to other places I have gotten this dish from. I have ordered shepherd’s pie at Irish pubs where they did not serve anything with it and it was more expensive. This is not just at pubs in New York City or Philadelphia.

The shepherd’s pie tasted really flavorful. The beef was a bit on the drier side, but it was not as bad as other versions I have tasted. The gravy on top, while unconventional, helped add some moisture to the dish. Even the mashed potatoes were bursting with flavor, which can be a difficult thing to do.

Overall, American Star Diner’s version of shepherd’s pie was a great recipe. While it is unconventional to have gravy on the mashed potatoes, it added to the recipe. It was a great value when you consider the cost and how much you got. The dish was flavorful and delicious overall. I hope the American Star Diner regularly has this on their specials menu and that people get a chance to try it. 

Related Articles: