https://kiltedowl.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Celtic Crafts: Embroidered Celtic Hat

I taught myself how to embroider a couple of years ago, but I never thought I would be able to make a hat. I made a hat of my favorite band, and I thought I would try making myself an “Irish” hat. This hat can be made into any of the Celtic nations, or any other nationality as well. I am so proud of how it turned out and have even gotten compliments that it looks store-bought.

1. Gather your supplies.

Supplies I used include a hat (adult-sized for me), thread of the colors of the Irish flag, a needle, and a pencil.

2. Outline the word you want to use.

I did “Irish,” but other options may include “Scottish,” “Welsh,” “Manx,” “Cornish,” and others. Outlining the word in pencil allows you to see how it will look on your hat. If you make a mistake, you can erase it, and when you do the embroidery, you will not be able to see the pencil marks.

3. Outline the word in thread.

After using pencil, outline the letters using thread. This will allow you to see the outline more clearly. I outlined in the color I planned to use for that letter, but I also would have outlined the letters in black to make them pop.

4. Fill in the letters.

Use thread to fill in the letters. This part was a lot of fun as it felt like I was just coloring with thread. It was so satisfying to see the letters become full of color.

5. Ta da! You’re all done!

Wear the hat and enjoy! I plan on wearing mine to Celtic festivals and other related events!

Learn from me:

I outlined the letters in the color I planned to use for the letter, but I feel like black would have made them pop a bit more. I freehanded the letters in pencil, but I wish I had used a stencil. 


Related Articles: