https://kiltedowl.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

2026 Summer Reading Recap: Celtic Inclusions

Today (August 20, 2026), I turned in the last papers for my 2026 summer reading challenges. My two libraries had challenges, and a local café teamed up with a small bookstore to cohost a summer reading challenge as well. While I did not do as much of the library challenges as I had hoped, I am so proud of all I have accomplished. Below are the Celtic books I read this summer. These are not listed in any particular order.

1. “Of Heather and Thistle” by Erinn Maxwell

This book was far from perfect, but I loved the overall concept of the book. It follows Heather, who inherits a property in Scotland after her father passes. She brings in a contractor who is an expert in fixing up old, historic homes. The two grapple with history and their own feelings. Heather was a relatable character, as this undertaking is massive. The book makes the readers think about what they would do if given this same circumstance. There was a lot of redundancy within the book, but this helped solidify the themes of the book.

2. “Small Things Like These” by Claire Keegan

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It tells the story of Bill Furlong, a coal miner and family man. He makes a discovery that raises questions about the complicit silence of the town. This book mentions Magdalene Laundries, which were a common occurrence in Ireland. The book has been a popular book, which helps to inform people about these institutions. It makes people think about what they would do if they discovered something that was kept hush, and it helps them relate the story to things happening in the real world.

3. “Finding Nessie” by Edwina Lindsey

“Finding Nessie” is a great book for those looking for a quick and fun summer read. The story is about a witch and the Loch Ness Monster teaming up to solve the case of mysterious deaths along the banks of Loch Ness. In the process, they fall in love with each other in an unlikely twist of events. The book requires some suspension of disbelief, but if you are able to push through, the book is enjoyable. It was a lot “spicier” than I was expecting it to be.

4. “Honeysuckle” by Bar Fridman-Tell

This was definitely the darkest Celtic book I read this summer. It is a loose retelling of the Welsh myth about Blodeuwedds. I have not read the original Welsh myth in its entirety, but from the research I did before reading the book, it was a pretty accurate retelling. The main themes of the book included love and consent within a relationship. There are triggers for rape and toxic relationships, but it was a poignant book for today’s day and age.

5. “Classic Irish Short Stories” by Oscar Wilde et al.

I listened to this collection of short stories on audiobook and found myself getting distracted. However, there were some great stories within the book that kept my attention. There are a variety of subjects written by well-known Irish authors. It is a great collection for those who are interested in Irish literature and exploring various styles and topics within the genre. 

Related Articles: