https://kiltedowl.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Book Review: "Wouldn't It Be Scottish?" by Sara Bennett


 Thank you, Dragonblade Publishing, for providing this book for review consideration via NetGalley. All opinions are my own.

“Wouldn’t It Be Scottish?” was written by Sara Bennett and is the third book in “The Mackenzies Take London” series. The book tells of Donal, who goes to London to attempt to persuade his love, Mary, to come back to him. While there, he teams up with Agatha, who is attempting to do the same with her love, Richard. To make their loves jealous, Agatha and Donal form a fake relationship, and both find they are falling for the other.

The book features the tropes of a fake relationship and forced proximity. These tropes propel the book forward and are the driving forces that allow the story to work. There are a few sex scenes in the book. As such, readers should be advised.

It was fun to see how the plot unfolded and the various secrets became known. There were times when not knowing the secrets was frustrating, but the timing of their reveal made a lot of sense when they became known. It is obvious that Bennett had an outline of where she wanted the story to go, and the hints at secrets keep readers invested for the journey.

The writing itself was a bit boring at points throughout the book, and there were a few punctuation and grammar errors towards the end. However, the need to see how things unfolded motivated me to keep going.

There are two other books that precede this book. While I have not read the other books, I still felt like I was able to follow along with what was happening. I do wonder if the previous books talk about Donal’s brothers and the scandals that they went through. These were not super important plot points for this specific story, but it would have been nice to have that context so I could follow when the scandals were mentioned and Donal was compared to his brothers.

Even though this book takes place in the 1800s, there are themes of strong women. Throughout the book, Donal sought Agatha’s consent for their sexual encounters. Other female characters took the lead on various aspects of their relationships as well, and led their men in different ways. This is a cool thing to see in historical romance.

Overall, this book was decent and fine. I was not particularly “wowed,” but the secrets that were mentioned kept me interested in reading until the end. The ending was predictable for the most part, but the secret reveal was so sweet. I am confused about what the title means in relation to what took place in the book. 

Related Articles:

-Book Review: "The Grump I Got Stuck With" by Leslie North: https://kiltedowl.blogspot.com/2026/09/book-review-grump-i-got-stuck-with-leslie-north.html