https://kiltedowl.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Book Review: "A Highlander's Heart" by Callie Hutton


Thank you, Dragonblade Publishing, for providing this book for review consideration via NetGalley. All opinions are my own.

“A Highlander’s Heart” was written by Callie Hutton and released on August 29, 2026. It was released on August 9, 2026, by Dragonblade Publishing. It is the third book in the series, “The Mackenzies of Castle Leod”. The story features enemies-to-lovers, a wounded warrior, forced proximity, clan rivalry, and Highland historical romance.

The book tells the story of Morgan Quinn, who is injured in battle and falls under the healing care of Emma Mackenzie, a member of the enemy’s clan. The story follows their relationship as Morgan is summoned back to Clyth Castle as laird of the Gunn clan. He obliges, under the condition that Emma is able to join him.

The book is perfect for those who love “Outlander.” There are quite a few similarities. Part of “A Highlander’s Heart” takes place at Castle Leod, which is a real castle that was the inspiration for Castle Leoch in “Outlander.”

Although the book is the third book in the series, it works as a standalone. I did not read the previous two books prior to reading this book, and everything made sense to me. I do wonder if it would have made a difference had I read the other books.

There were a lot of grammatical mistakes and sentence structure errors throughout the book. At first, I was able to shrug them off, but as the book progressed, they became more frequent. This made it difficult to stay in the reading zone, which distracted me from the world.

The lead-up to the conflict was a bit rushed, which led the resolution to feel a bit rushed at the end. The world-building is important and very well done here, but we should know the conflict before the last 20% of the book. The book could have been a bit longer to fix this.

Overall, I gave this book a 3.5/5 stars. I enjoyed the characters for the most part. While the book is not perfect, both in the plot feeling rushed and in the grammatical errors, I felt like I was able to dive into the world and understand what each character felt. I would love to know if the next book picks up where this one leaves off. This book is perfect for those who love enemies-to-lovers, historical romance, and “Outlander.” 

Related Articles:



-Book Review: "Of Heather and Thistle" by Erinn Maxwell: https://kiltedowl.blogsp