https://kiltedowl.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Album Review: "Carving the Stone" by For Those I Love

"Carving the Stone" by For Those I Love
"Carving the Stone" by For Those I Love

On August 8 , 2025, Irish musician For Those I Love released his second studio album, “Carving the Stone.”  For Those I Love is the musical project of Andrew Balfe, formerly of The Blind and Mothers & Fathers.

The album talks about the Great Recession. Although it focuses on an Irish perspective of what happened during that time, people all over the world, especially those who lived during that time, can relate. Even those living during financial difficulties today will connect to the lyrics of these songs.

Although there is a specific period of time mentioned, the album can relate to several things throughout Ireland’s history. From emigration to famine and war, this album hits on aspects of Irish history that seem to repeat.

There are things throughout the album that will leave listeners shocked and emotional. These will come as a surprise, especially on the final song. This added to the emotion of the album, and listeners may be drawn to tears.

The album tells a whole story, from the beginning of a recession to coming home. Each song has its own sound, feel, and vibe, but they all contribute beautifully to the overall story of the album. Listeners are drawn into the emotions of the album and are held until the powerful end.

While there are no genres listed on Spotify or YouTube for this album, it could easily be classified as spoken word. Each song sounds like poetry in how it is performed and the musicality of the lyrics.

The mixing of the album is well done. It can be difficult to find the balance between the vocals and instrumentals, especially on an album where the lyrics are spoken, but the vocals are easy to understand. The instruments do not overpower the lyrics at all, even when the speaker is a bit quiet.

Overall, this album is perfect for those who love music that has a powerful message behind it. The songs on this album will connect with people across political and geographical borders. A few of the songs are listed as explicit, but the language on the album only furthers the message of the songs and the album. 

 
Track List:

1. Carving the Stone
2. No Quiet
3. No Scheme
4. The Ox/The Afters
5. Civic
6. Mirror
7. This Is Not The Place I Belong
8. Of The Sorrow
9. I Came Back To See The Stone Had Moved


Related Articles:

-Album Review: "Love Me Too Well, I’ll Retire” by Katie Greson-MacLeod: https://kiltedowl.blogspot.com/2026/02/album-review-love-me-too-well-ill-retire.html

-Album Review: "For The People" by Dropkick Murphys: https://kiltedowl.blogspot.com/2026/02/album-review-for-people-by-dropkick-murphys.html