https://kiltedowl.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Ashley's Birthday Fundraiser: BC/EFA


 This is a different post than is typically on Kilted Owl. It does not have anything to do with Celtic culture, but it has a lot to do with me, Ashley Paskill, who is the person behind the blog.

I am turning 34 on September 16, 2026. My birthday is next week! This year for my birthday, I have a Facebook fundraiser going to raise money for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS (BC/EFA). My goal is to raise $340 for my 34th birthday. For every dollar I raise, I am picking up a piece of trash at a local park. So far, I have raised $36 and have picked up 36 pieces of trash.

BC/EFA is an organization that raises money to help fight AIDS. They are involved with other organizations, partnering with them and writing grants for their efforts. According to their website, “…since 1988 Broadway Cares has raised more than $300 million for essential services for people with AIDS.”

I chose this organization because it is one that means a lot to me. When I was in 8th grade, I performed in my middle school’s production of “Anything Goes.” I was a sailor and performed with a broken toe. Each year, my local high school puts on a BC/EFA gala to raise money for the organization. I got to perform in the gala that year, which was such an honor.

I have loved Broadway for years. I got to see “Mamma Mia” when I was younger and connected with the music and the story. Since then, I have seen a variety of musicals, and seeing so many theatre people unite around BC/EFA is incredible.

This organization means a lot to me also because of its mission to fight AIDS. Queen is one of my favorite bands, and Freddie Mercury is my favorite singer. Sadly, Mercury died of complications from AIDS in November of 1991. I want to help support organizations that are fighting this awful disease so no one else has to die.

If you would like to support the fundraiser, you may do so here.  Times are tough, so if you are unable to donate directly, please share the fundraiser link or this blog post to help spread the word. Thank you for all of the support so far. 

Related Articles:

-Book Review: "The Grump I Got Stuck With" by Leslie North: https://kiltedowl.blogspot.com/2026/09/book-review-grump-i-got-stuck-with-leslie-north.html