https://kiltedowl.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Book Review: "Dracula" by Bram Stoker

"Dracula" by Bram Stoker
 "Dracula" by Bram Stoker

“Dracula” is a novel that was written in 1897 by Irish author Bram Stoker. It tells the story of a vampire who moves from Transylvania to England who is hunted by a group of people. The book is a gothic horror novel written as a collection of letters, newspapers, and diary entries.

While this book is considered THE vampire book, there is a book that predates it. “Carmilla,” written by Irish gothic writer Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu, was published originally in Le Fanu’s short story collection in 1872. It tells the story of a woman who was pursued by the vampire named Carmilla.

The first half of the book was a bit dry and difficult to get through. Typically, I like books written  using letters, newspapers, and other similar things, but for some reason, this book was difficult to read in this format.

There were parts of the book where things seemed to be missing. At points, I had to go back and reread a section because I thought I missed something, but it just was not there. This made the book a bit difficult to keep up with.

Some of the letters, newspapers, and diaries are not presented in the order they were written, especially when they switch between authors and creators of the writings. This can make it difficult to keep track of what is happening. However, it does get easier to understand as the book progresses and more things start happening.

There are also a lot of characters involved in the book. It can be difficult at times to keep track of the cast of characters, but by the end of the book, it is easier to see how all of the characters come together to accomplish their goal.

People said that I would be scared while reading it, but it was not as scary as people were saying. The descriptions of what was happening were not as full as they could be, which made it not as gripping as I personally would have liked.

Overall, it is clear to see why this book is a classic. However, it did not have the impact on me that I was hoping for. For me, the writing style and the structure of the book made it difficult to get into. The writing was a bit dry, which made it difficult to be scared. It was probably scary in its day, but it does not have the horror aspect as strongly as I would like.

Rating: 2/5 stars


Related Article:

-Bram Stoker: https://kiltedowl.blogspot.com/2025/10/bram-stoker.html

-Book Review: "The Importance of Being Earnest" by Oscar Wilde: https://kiltedowl.blogspot.com/2025/09/book-review-importance-of-being-earnest-oscar-wilde.html

-Book Review: "The Summer Skies" by Jenny Colgan: https://kiltedowl.blogspot.com/2025/07/book-review-summer-skies-by-jenny-colgan.html